There’s still ample time and good weather for grilling, and I have a fun BBQ theme dessert idea, courtesy of one of my hip baker friends – hamburger cupcakes!
1 batch vanilla cupcakes (made from mix or homemade)
1 batch chocolate cupcakes (made from mix or homemade)
1 container vanilla icing or homemade butter cream frosting
1 package shredded sweetened coconut
Red, yellow and green food coloring
Sugar in the Raw (optional)
1. To make buns: Prepare a batch of vanilla cupcakes but be sure not to use paper liners (grease the baking tin instead). Use a mix or make them from scratch using your favorite chocolate cake recipe. Sprinkle tops with Sugar in the Raw before baking to create the look of sesame seeds on the tops of the buns (optional).
2. To make burgers: Prepare a batch of chocolate cupcakes but be sure not to use paper liners (grease the baking tin instead). Use a mix or make them from scratch using your favorite chocolate cake recipe.
3. To make ketchup: Mix red food coloring with ½ container of vanilla icing.
4. To make mustard: Mix yellow food coloring with ½ container of vanilla icing.
5. To make lettuce: Place shredded coconut in a ziplock bag and squeeze several drops of green food coloring into the bag; seal the bag and mix until coconut is coated with coloring.
6. To assemble, cut the “buns” (vanilla cupcakes) in half vertically and cut the “burgers” (chocolate cupcakes into thirds. Use a piping bag to put the “ketchup” on the bottom bun, then place the burger on top of the ketchup and then use a different piping bag to put the mustard on top of the burger. Sprinkle the lettuce on top of the “mustard.” Finish by placing the top of the bun on top and then secure with a toothpick to hold it all together.
Note: You’ll have extra “burger” parts – they’re great for the pastry chef to enjoy!