I created this recipe for Vegetarian Times (1 food, 5 ways: fennel, March 2012). Roasting fennel concentrates its natural sweetness and mellows out the licorice flavor. A sprinkling of Parmesan gives it a crunchy crust, while the tender center of the fennel pieces melt in your mouth. This makes a lovely winter starter or side dish – especially for braised or roasted meat. Of all the fennel recipes that I made for family and friends to taste-test while developing the fennel recipes for Vegetarian Times, this one was the favorite.
Recipe :: Roasted Fennel with Parmesan Vinaigrette
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, quartered
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Coat rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Blend oil, garlic, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in food processor until smooth. Toss fennel with oil mixture and Parmesan in large bowl until coated.
- Place fennel on prepared baking sheet, and roast 35-40 minutes, or until tender and outer edges are golden brown.
Plan to serve this recipe immediately after you finish roasting to get the full effect of the crunchy Parmesan crust.
Copyright Stylish Spoon - www.stylishspoon.com - All rights reserved
Photo credit: Vegetarian Times