I am loving these hand-dipped chocolate-covered football strawberries from Shari’s Berries. They’re a cute (and healthy) addition to a game-day dessert buffet. Order a dozen, or try your hand at making a batch yourself – they are really very simple. All you need are some good berries, high-quality milk chocolate, white chocolate and a zip-top plastic bag for piping the white details (full recipe below).
Add a healthy dessert option to your game-day menu with these chocolate covered berries. Berries can be made up to one day in advance and stored in the fridge covered tightly with plastic wrap.
- 8 oz high quality semi-sweet or milk chocolate
- 4 oz white chocolate
- 1 lb strawberries with stems attached
- Wash strawberries carefully to keep stems intact. Dry them completely – you don’t want any water left on the berries. Line a sheet pan with parchment or waxed paper and set aside.
- Chop semi-sweet chocolate with a serrated knife and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave at 30 second intervals until half of the chocolate is melted, stirring each time you take it out. Once half is melted, stir until the chocolate is smooth and shiny (the heat from the melted chocolate will melt the remaining chocolate and this method ensures that the chocolate won’t seize or burn).
- Repeat the same process with the white chocolate (chopping, heating, stirring). Place melted white chocolate in sandwich-size ziplock bag, squeezing air out of bag before sealing. Push all of the chocolate to one bottom corner of the bag or use a piping bag; set aside.
- Hold the stems of the strawberries away from the berry and dip the berries into the melted semi-sweet chocolate. Twist the berries as you lift them out of the chocolate to let the extra chocolate drip back into the bowl. Place dipped strawberry on prepared parchment lined pan. Repeat with remaining strawberries. Allow the chocolate to harden at room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Snip the very corner of the prepared white chocolate bag using a pair of scissors (keep the hole very small to make thin lines). Pipe the football lines onto the berries, over the semi-sweet chocolate.