My very creative friend, Vicki, is an art teacher and a face painting pro (she painted over 500 in one day at a school event!). For her daughter’s Pink Princess Birthday Party she painted adorable butterflies on all of the little princesses’ cheeks, and below is a simple how-to and free printable template so you can do some butterfly face paining of your own.
- The first step is to draw the body of the butterfly (formerly known as a caterpillar). Use a dark face crayon (black) and start by drawing two horizontal ovals for the head, a long (vertical) oval for the body and two lines for antennas on top of the head.
- Using a contrasting color (red), draw the top outline of the wings, going up and curving around the eyebrow area.
- Draw the bottom portion of the outline of the wings in the same color (red).
- Using a lighter color (white), highlight the inside of the wings by tracing the shape just inside of the outer wing lines.
- Use another color (blue) to fill in the remaining space on the inside of the wings, blending as you go.
- Add some contrast to the wings using the original dark color used for the body (black).
- Use a gel glitter (silver) with a thin face paint brush and paint the glitter over the contrasting lines drawn in step 6.
- Sit back and admire your work – all done!
Download and print the free printable butterfly face painting template by clicking the hotlink and use it as a guide for your butterfly face painting.Butterfly template design and painting by the talented Victoria Russotti.