Making a festive dessert for the 4th of July doesn’t get any easier than this. It takes about 10 minutes to make a dozen of these chocolate-covered red, white and blue strawberries, which are relatively healthy for a holiday dessert and really delicious. I used Driscoll long-stem strawberries (available at Key Foods and Freshdirect) for this batch, but any strawberries that are large enough to hold by their stem will work in this recipe.
If you’re looking for a 4th of July holiday project, red, white & blue strawberries are a great recipe for cooking with kids. Strawberries are easy for little hands to grasp and the lure of chocolate, even white chocolate, will likely be enough to peak their interest in the project. Note: you will need to make a few extras for “tasting” for the little ones – I say this from experience.
Hope you enjoy this recipe for your 4th of July celebrations as much as we do!
A simple, festive and relatively healthy patriotic dessert.
- 8 oz. white chocolate chips
- blue sugar crystals (can be found in cake decorating aisle)
- 1 lb. strawberries with stems attached
- Wash strawberries carefully to keep stems intact; dry completely. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper and set aside. Place about 1 oz. of sugar crystals in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Heat white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at 30 second intervals, until half of the chocolate is melted, stirring each time you take it out. Once half of chips are melted, stir until the chocolate is smooth and shiny (the heat from the melted chocolate will melt the remaining chocolate and this method ensures that the chocolate won’t seize or burn). Continue to heat at 15 second intervals if the chocolate is not completely melted after stirring.
- Hold stems of the strawberries away from the berry and dip berries into melted chocolate. Twist berries as you lift them out of the chocolate to let extra chocolate drip back into the bowl. Dip the bottom third of the chocolate-covered berry in the sugar crystals, then place dipped strawberry on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining strawberries. Allow chocolate to harden at room temperature (about 30 minutes) or in the refrigerator (about 10 minutes).
Photo credit: Beth Robyn Photography